Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"the beauty of doing nothing"

I was reading last night and came across this concept. It's Italian, Roman in particular. What the person said was true. I spend time and money to peruse entertainment, but I do not do nothing. I can remember a while back I tried to spend an afternoon doing nothing. I ended up in a little Italian deli and got a sandwich, people-watching. I browsed in a bookstore, not looking for anything in particular. It felt so peaceful at times.... but I was uncomfortable. I felt this guilt from doing nothing. I felt like I should have been doing something. I felt the need to accomplish.

I don't think I can ever do nothing. But I sat down and tried to think about what makes me happy. I promptly went to flickr and looked through my photos. I added more things to the favorites folder and did some captions. I love taking pictures. I love catching people off guard. Just being themselves. I rarely find good pictures of people posing. I took out my camera the other day and figured out how to take black and white pictures. I think it's about time I learn how to use it. A little bit at a time.

I've been considering working for non-profits. I'm not too sure, but I think it feels right. I might look into that. I think I'm going to put some money into Kiva tonight. I registered a little while back, and I want to actually do something for it. Microloans, they're interesting. I'm a little obsessed with recycling of late. Bringing that bag of cans and bottles to the recycling center makes me realize how much money we throw away at work everyday. Less then half a weeks worth of recycling earned $5.80. I also snagged 10 bottle caps, worth 30 of the 220 points needed for a movie ticket. This trash is worth something afterall.

I did some cleaning this morning. I didn't plan on it. I rearranged a few items in my bathroom and opened up some counter space. It looks right.

I really want to get back to scrapping. Thing is, I have so much crap, I don't know what to start with. I got 6 planner folders yesterday. I'm going to use them. I might start working on them tonight. At least separating stuff out into the other folders I got. Page planners give me hope.

I'm good at planning things. In a support position. I can identify and acquire what is needed for a project, but I'm bad at actually working on them. Is there a job out there where I can do that? I would like one of those. Logistics, I do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment